Directory Write Error

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Wed Jun 4 23:37:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Ed Warner wrote:

> Yum updated my bind and chroot. When it restarted named, I have an error
> in the log file:  "the working directory is not writable"

As one example, this is useful because some operating systems won't save a
core dump file in a directory that is not writable.

> Is this the directory called out in my named.conf file?:

Yes.

Not that the log above is unrelated to named being able to do dynamic
updates, zone transfers, stats, pid file, etc.

> Where should named.conf reside? I have it in the /etc/ directory with a
> link to the chroot directory. Should the permissions be 644?

The chroot is done before the configuration is loaded. So the named.conf
should be within the chroot environment.

Here is an example from one of my systems:

drwxr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  512 Oct 30  2006 /var/chroot/named
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Oct 11  2007 /var/chroot/named/etc
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  named  512 Jun  2 14:22 /var/chroot/named/var/run