dns updates from a windows client

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jan 8 22:25:43 UTC 2008

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> The search path is only used when a shortname lookup is issued. If you
> use fully-qualified names (FQDNs), then the search path is irrelevant
> and you have a lot more flexibility and scalability. Note that shortname
> resolution can also present a security risk, inasmuch as it introduces
> uncertainty/ambiguity into client/server interactions, e.g. if I connect
> to a "zeus" website, using a shortname, is that
> zeus.good-and-trusted.domain.com or zeus.evil-nasty-hacked.com? It all
> depends on the contents of my search path, which is administered
> typically by Windoze whizkids who don't necessarily have a good sense of
> proper security practices.

I have seen a number of cases where even a FQDN is appended by the
search path(s).

The lookup could then look like: www.example.com.mydomain.com. What I
have observed is that if the first lookup of the asked for name fails,
then every search path is appended to see if that works. I was a bit
surprised by this.

The only way to avoid it seems to be to specify the FQDN including a
period at the end. This was with an older windows version and the
behaviour is from the windows resolver, not bind or other DNS servers.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: