dynamic updates

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 17:22:24 UTC 2008

On Dec 23 2008, wes wrote:

>Would a dynamically created A record override an explicitly established one
>in the zone file?

After the event, there's no difference between a record that was dynamically
created and one that was "explicitly established", by which I take you to
mean one created by editing the zone's master file.

But one A record doesn't "override" another with the same name, anyway.
If a dynamic update just adds a new A record, both would coexist. The
old one could be dynamically deleted in the same update transaction.

>If so, can I deny dynamic updates for specific hostnames? I would like to
>allow my Windows computers to dynamically update their names, but I don't
>want to have a situation where a computer named "www" does a dynamic update
>and updates www.[domain].com and breaks my website.

See "update-policy" in the ARM, especially the "self" rule and its variants.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk