Server mostly caching-only + acache

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Mon Dec 22 22:51:10 UTC 2008

At Mon, 22 Dec 2008 01:47:37 -0800 (PST),
yata at irc.pl wrote:

> I think to change to version 9.4.3 because of interesing feature
> "acache".
> I would like to speed up response time for my clients.
>
> My DNS server is mostly (95%) caching-only:
> NLWP USERNAME  SWAP   RSS MEMORY      TIME  CPU
> 7 named    3294M 3299M    21% 336:00:11  16%
>
> Do you think after "acache-enable yes" bind will create "internal
> short-cut" and
> response time for client will be reduced?

No, "acache" is specifically intended to be used for authoritative
servers.  It doesn't improve anything for a caching (only) server.

But if your server is a multi-processor/core machine, 9.4.x (and
onward) is worth trying with enabling threads.  Its better support for
threads will improve response time comparing with 9.3.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.