Random nx name queries, anyone see this before?

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Mon Dec 15 22:05:31 UTC 2008

ponga2112 at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm seeing name queries from a couple clients on the network that
> occur around every two minutes - the queries are evidently random and
> are looking for A IN records of this form, as an example:
>
> ungzbvyf.lzghmccim
>
> They always look like this, 8 lowercase chars, dot, then 9 lowercase
> chars - never an FQDN.
> I can't find what this might be - has anyone seen this before or have
> any ideas?

I've seen this and told a couple of people, but nobody has really shown
interest.

In addition to the regular format that you see, I've also picked up a
pattern when you start seeing the queries from multiple sources...

I'll be more than happy to start collecting data again if anyone has
interest.

AlanC