MIME garbage in comp.protocols.dns.bind

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Dec 15 13:10:15 UTC 2008

In article <ghu9vu$88v$1 at sf1.isc.org>, schulz at adi.com (Thomas Schulz)
wrote:

> I was wondering what was going on.  Some messages are just base64 and are
> completely useless/unreadable.

If you have mimencode you could try this:

$ mimencode -u  > /tmp/weird ; less /tmp/weird

On Mac OS X and other systems with the right perl module this works
(make sure there's no line break):

$ perl -MMIME::Base64 -ne 'print decode_base64($_)' > /tmp/weird ; less
/tmp/weird

Run the command, copy and paste the text of the duff message and then
ctrl-D it and, hey presto, a readable message.  If you already have a
/tmp/weird on your system then change the file name.

Yes, I know you shouldn't have to... :-)

Sam