DDNS and allow-update declarations

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Dec 11 00:00:37 UTC 2008

In message <5E537F1C-943D-43AE-ACF0-42A9F9AF9C2B at colorado.edu>, Nicholas F Mille
r writes:
> I have a couple of questions regarding how a Microsoft domain
> controller updates a dynamic zone.
>
> 1 ) When a domain controller tries to update the zone does it try the
> DNS servers it has listed in its network settings or does it follow
> the SOA for the zone?

	There are knowledge base article which describe this fully.
	I suggest that you search the Microsoft knowledge base for
	the complete answer.

> 2) In the configs below does the slave server's IP need to be listed
> in the allow-update declaration on the master zone server?
>
> Master Server - 1.2.3.4
>
> zone "actived.example.com" {
>          type master;
>          file "named.ad";
>          allow-update {
> 		1.2.3.4;   	// master DNS server
>                  11.22.33.44;         // domain controller 1
>                  55.66.77.88.99;         // domain controller 2
>                  };
>          allow-transfer {
>                  5.6.7.8 // slave DNS server;
>                  };
> };
>
> Slave Server - 5.6.7.8
>
> zone "actived.example.com" {
>          type slave;
>          file "named.ad";
>          allow-update-forwarding {
>                  11.22.33.44;         // domain controller 1
>                  55.66.77.88.99;         // domain controller 2
>                  };
>          allow-transfer { none; };
>          masters {
>                  1.2.3.4 // master DNS server
>          };
> };

	As you are allowing updates based on IP address, then yes, you
	need to specify the update forwarders address.  If you were using
	TSIG then you don't need to as the signed message will be forwarded.

	Mark