Forwarding for authoritative domain.

Terpasaur emery.rudolph at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 16:01:22 UTC 2008

Hello,

Please pardon me if this appears multiple times. It was originally
blocked. :-)

Here is my dilema.

I have a master BIND server (9.2.4) at location 1. I am creating a
external slave and internal master at location 2. The master zone file
int the internal nameserver at location 2 is the same domain name as
the external nameservers, but holds the non-routable private
addresses. My problem is that because the master zone has the same
zone domain name as the external nameservers, it will never query the
external servers for resource that only exist in the external DNS,
thus it is not able to resolve the external names.

As you know, you cannot place a forwarders option in a master zone,
because it will not attempt to forward for addresses it is
authoritative for. My question is if anyone has any ideas of a
workaround other than moving the
internal DNS to a different domain name???

Thanks,

E.R.