Bind efficiency

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Sun Apr 6 04:37:12 UTC 2008

At Sat, 5 Apr 2008 19:37:05 +0200,
"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sebastian_Tymk=F3w?=" <sebastian.tymkow at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder what is bind efficiency. How many requests per seconds bind can
> answers.
> I configured bind 9.x and made some tests (using dnsperf) and bind didn't
> ansewer pretty well.
> I achived only ~300  answers per second.
> How may I improve my bind to achieve over 1000 answers ?
> I compiled my bind with threads.
> Other strange thing is that bind 8.x answers better than 9.x, about ~700
> answers per second after caching.

It depends.

- version of BIND9
- OS type and version
- hardware architecture (intel, AMD, sparc, etc)
- if it's a multi-processor/core machine, number of available CPUs
- whether named is configured as an authoritative server, caching
  server, or both
- if it's an authoritative server, what kind of zone(s) it's serving

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.