Would like to change the default location of rndc.key

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun May 27 03:41:30 UTC 2007

Helene Montarou (QA/EMC) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using BIND release 9.4.1 on windows 2000.
>
> I would like to configure the DNS server to look for the rndc.key file
> under a directory I specify.
> In named.conf file, I set the following in/ options/ statement:
>
>         directory "c:\myDir";
>
> I generate the rndc.conf using rndc-confgen -a -c c:\myDir\rndc.key. The
> file is created with the secret.
>
> In the console, I got the following error when I start the DNS server:
>
>         open: C:\WINNT\system32\dns\etc\rndc.key: file not found
>
> How can I force the server to look for the file under another directory
> than the default one?
> In the reference manual, [ …***//**/ rndc/*/ will also look in
> /etc/rndc.key (or whatever sysconfdir was defined when the BIND build
> was configured) ]/
>
> Do I have to build BIND to change the/ sysconfdir/?

Currently it's hardcoded to look in etc/rndc.key. See
lib/isc/win32/ntpaths.c as is rndc.conf. I don't think it can be changed
outside the source code. Windows doesn't use sysconfdir. You can easily
move it into the etc directory. Creating the file in one directory
doesn't prevent you moving it. Also you don't need to create put BIND
and it's configuration files in the system32 directory. I don't. The
installer allows you to put it into any directory that you want.

> I thank you for any answer you will provide,

Please note that this is not a bug nor is it a bind8 question so you
shouldn't be sending this to bind8-bugs.

Danny