split DNS?

Sky Me snowmountainflyfox at gmail.com
Fri May 25 02:28:52 UTC 2007

2007/5/25, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>:

> If you're differentiating the answers based on the address range(s)
> containing the source addresses of the queries, you've basically
> reinvented the "view" feature of BIND 9.

Hello Kevin,

What's BIND 9's "view" feature?

> I'm not sure why you need the nested CNAME though: why not just have
> foo.split.example.com resolve to 11.11.11.11 for ISP A's clients and to
> 22.22.22.22 for ISP B's clients?

This is because Stanford::DNSserver framework doesn't have the same
convenient config directives like BIND.So I just return a CNAME from
this custom-built dns server,and this CNAME would be paresed to an A
address finally by main DNS (BIND).

>Or, for that matter, have foo.example.com itself resolve differently.

Yes this is the thing I'm confused for.Does BIND support the feature
of differentiating the answers based on the address range(s)
containing the source addresses of the queries?

Thanks,
--Sky