"host" Return Codes

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon May 21 18:23:49 UTC 2007

and Chris Thompson <cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> replied:

>It would appear by comparison with the contemporaneous "dig" that the
>Solaris 10 /usr/sbin/host is from 9.2.4. And it does indeed have the
>exit code 0 after NXDOMAIN behaviour that you observe.
>
>So, what else is new? It's (almost) never worth agonising about versions
>of BIND and its friends bundled with the operating system, whichever
>flavour of operating system that is. Build your own.

I have done some research with the source (host.c) from various older
versions of BIND that I have built over the years.

     8.3.4 set the return code.
     9.2.4 did not set the return code.
     9.3.2 set the return code.

I am assuming that it was 9.3.0 that included the code to set the
return code, even though I saw nothing in the CHANGES file.

The problem I have is this - I build BIND for my DNS servers, but
we have one web application where we want to use the "host" command,
and I would prefer not to build BIND just to get a "dig" that sets the
return code properly.  The application has to rely on the return code;
it will not parse any human-readible messages such as

     Host aaa.anl.gov not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I am trying to rely on the "dig" supplied by the operating system
vendor.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov