Overriding CNAME and OTHER rule

Gushi google at gushi.org
Mon Aug 27 05:11:01 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am trying to use DNS to point one of my user's domains to their
blogspot domain.

Blogger gives directions here:

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=58317&query=CNAME&topic=&type=f#other

The directions here say to have the target domain be a CNAME of
ghs.google.com -- and I can understand why: If google renumbers their
network, the zone files pointing at it are not at the mercy of that
renumbering.  However, this comes with a restriction: I can point my
user's SUBDOMAIN (such as www.theirdomain.com with a CNAME record),
but I cannot successfully do this under BIND with the main domain
(theirdomain.com) because at that point I will hit BIND'S "cname and
other rule" that specifies I cannot have a CNAME record that refers to
the same domain as the {SOA, NS, MX} records that are necessary to
make the domain work.

Is there a way to make this happen, or should I just do what I'm
thinking of, get the IP for ghs.google.com, and create an A record
with that IP?

-Dan Mahoney