BIND 9.4.1-P1 freezes randomly on FreeBSD 6.1

Craig Cocca craigc at uia.net
Fri Aug 24 15:39:13 UTC 2007

Recently, we've updated our internal nameservers from BIND 9.3.2 to
9.3.4-P1, and then to BIND 9.4.1-P1.  We're running this on FreeBSD
6.1 on a P4 2.8 GHz with 1GB of RAM.  We're experiencing a problem
where named will be running normally, at 10-14% CPU load and right at
the 515M memory cap that we set for it, and then it will suddenly
stop doing recursive lookups.  What is interesting here is that the
box will continue to do lookups for domains for which we have
authority, but lookups of outside domains just flat out stop until we
restart named.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar problem with
BIND 9.4.1-P1, and if so, if there is a fix for this.

Thanks,

--Craig