TTL Error Reported

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:19:48 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, ken at mtnhosting.com <ken at mtnhosting.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Am getting the following error in my event viewer logs:
>
> risingdata.co.uk.txt:6: no TTL specified; using SOA MINTTL instead
>
> I have TTL specified in the zone file for this domain so why is BIND not using that? The zone file for this domain is as follows:
>
> ;
> ;  Database file risingdata.co.uk.txt for risingdata.co.uk zone.
> ;      Zone version:  11
> ;
>
> @                       IN  SOA ns1.mtnuk.net.  registrar.mtnuk.net. (
>                                 2007030203   ; serial number
>                                 3600         ; refresh
>                                 600          ; retry
>                                 1209600      ; expire
>                                 3600       ) ; default TTL

The last SOA field is not the default TTL of the zone, it is the
default negative TTL, which is the time that a caching server should
hold NXDOMAIN responses for an RRset in that zone.  This has been the
case since BIND 8.2.

You need to specify the zone at the top of the file as '$TTL
<seconds>' or  as '<seconds>' in the second field of a record
statement.  See RFC 2308 for more information.

--
--Greg Chavez