build failed on OSX 10.4.10 (ppc) [SOLVED!]

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Mon Aug 13 18:38:56 UTC 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 6:15 AM, Bill Larson wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Dave Stewart wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>> I've been upgrading BIND on both my internal servers to 9.4.1-P1. On
>> my first machine (AIX) I had no issues building it whatsoever, but on
>> my second machine (a Mac Mini running OSX 10.4.10 on a 1.42GHz PPC
>> G4) I'm getting a 1 exit status returned from ld when trying to build
>> it. I've included some snippets below (more details available if it
>> will help):
>
> Many good descriptions about why this is occuring have been posted
> already.  But to find an answer to your problem, take a look at my
> message at http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=118135629800896&w=2.
> This describes how to get around your problem.  It isn't trivial,
> no "./configure && make", but not difficult either.
>
> The BIND-USERS archive is a tremendous resource.  Use it.

Q. - Now why didn't I think of that?

A. - I wouldn't have had the great opportunity to start a discussion
with some of the best minds on this list? (A poor answer indeed, but
an answer none-the-less.)

Thank you all for the great help I've received regarding my issues.
Not only did I solve the problem, but I *understood* it as well.

Bill - many thanks for that script you posted to modify the
makefiles. It worked like a charm!

Chris - thank you for mentioning the 'sudo make install' issues. I
was aware of them, having been through this with the 9.3.1 version I
installed a while back, but your warning made me wonder if I missed
anything so I had to ask. My BIND installs are not in the 'default'
locations on either server, but I've worked around that and verified
that what I expect is working ("dig @server version.bind txt chaos
+norec" reports the right version on both machines).

Mark - thanks not only for your comments regarding my issues, but for
your tireless work on BIND.

Andy - thanks as well for your comments, they led me straight to my
issue. I grabbed the source for OpenSSL 0.9.8e and built it, that's
where it ended up (/usr/local/ssl). I could (should?) have controlled
that better when building it, but I fear building into OS default
locations because of possibilities of it being overwritten during an
OS upgrade (part of my "trust no one" philosophy).

What a great resource we have in this list, I can't thank you all
enough.

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh
until they sedate me.