bind-9.3.2-33.fc5

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Sep 23 23:49:37 UTC 2006

> Thomas Schulz wrote:
> > >That's harder to explain.  Sometimes it's a timing issue, other times
> > >it's due to the version of BIND being used.
> >

> I believe this is a version problem too, am thinking about downgrading
> my BIND servers.
> What version should I use, which will be the more stable?
> Thank you

	Named *is* stable.

	This is a classic case of "Garbage In - Garbage Out".

	People don't keep the NS RRsets in the parent and child
	zones in sync.  People don't keep the glue (parent) and the
	real address records (child) in sync.

	The rules for making this work are pretty simple.

		KEEP THE RECORDS IN SYNC.

	Sometime you need to use a clue bat.  There are plenty
	of sites which will check if the records are in sync and
	report if they are not.

	Registries and registrars could be doing there part as
	well by checking the delegation *before* they are added /
	changed to ensure that the RRsets are consistant with what
	the change would produce.  They could also periodically
	be rechecking (e.g. daily) and reporting errors so they
	can be fixed.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org