DNS problems / unable to reach authoritative server?

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:13:02 UTC 2006

On 9/13/06, Brenckle, Nicholas <NBrenckle at dsl.net> wrote:

> I have a weird DNS problem where some of my DNS servers (customer
> resolvers) can see a domain, and some cant. From the ones that can,
> everything works fine. From the ones that don't, I get timeouts when
> doing a host or a dig, but I can request information from the auth DNS
> server for that domain without a problem. The question is, where in the
> chain is it failing to tell the server that doesn't work, where to get
> the information?

phila.gov runs *crazy* old BIND.  I mean version 4 somewhere.  My
government outfit had a big problem with it a few months back:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.bind/browse_thread/thread/7770697c13376c84/b1ec9d51c1089a85?lnk=gst&q=phila.gov&rnum=1#b1ec9d51c1089a85

I was remiss and never posted the solution.  But I will do that now.

At the time, we were running BIND 9.2.2 (upgrade to 9.3.2-P1 if you
haven't already!).  Mail to phila.gov was queuing up on our mail
relays because queries to that domain by our DNS forwarders were
timing out.  Queries were sent with a source port that, while
configured as random, was being deterministically set to 32768
(2^15... the max value of a 16-bit number):

  query-source address * port 53;

This by itself is not a problem and in fact is expected, documented
BIND behavior; to wit, we had no trouble sending and receiving
users were hitting.   With little else left in our toolbox, however,
we changed this to use a static, unprivileged ports.  After that,
phila.gov queries started resolving our queues spilled forth.

  query-source address 8765 port 53;

Don't know whyfore this worked, but it did.  The true solution of
course, would be for phila.gov to enter the 21st century.  Oh well.
Hope this helps you.