control own domain/zonefile ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 16 22:44:18 UTC 2006

Steve K. wrote:
> Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with bind
> installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain, instead of
> using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might provide. In
> other words, I can setup a zonefile easily enough, but that only works
> so long as one manually points nslookup or dig to said linux box.
>
> How do I make it world accessible, so to speak? I know I can change the
> name servers for the domain via the registrar control panel? Is this all
> there is to it? I get the feeling there is more. And what if the
> registrar doesn't have such an applet?
>
> P.S.
> I doubt this is possible, but is there any way to manually "register" a
> domain myself withotu going through one of those registrars? I mean,
> most cost only $10 USD, which makes me think that it doesn't really cost
> them anything, thus making profit on all those $10 registrations.
> Basically, eliminate the middle man. I mean, how EXACTLY does a
> registrar register the domain you pick via their website?

You've already been given pointers to the internal protocols that the
registrars use for this, and you've been told that the only way to deal
with the TLDs directly is to become a registrar *yourself* (which costs
tens if not hundreds of 1,000's of $$, not to mention proving a certain
level of infrastructure capability) but I'd just like to take issue with
your implication that maintaining databases, providing customer service,
etc. "doesn't cost [...] anything". Do you understand the basis of the
whole IT industry? Even small databases for, say, keeping track of
address and other contact information, take some time to set up and
maintain. Take a significantly more complex database, multiply the
volume by thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, deal with
the scaling issues, the availability issues, buy the hardware, the
software, the support. I don't know exactly what industry you work in,
but in the IT industry, none of this stuff is *free*. It costs money,
and someone needs to pay the piper.

Not to mention, I believe ICANN mandates a certain minimum per-domain
fee that needs to be paid between registrars and TLD operators
*regardless* of their real costs in operating the infrastructure. The
registrars only make money from the small difference between that fee,
which they have to pay out, and the fee that they charge their
customers. When you start getting down into the $10/yr range, they're
really not making that much money at all, on a per-domain basis.

                           - Kevin