Nslookup Times Out on A Lookup To Well-Known Hosts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 4 20:11:59 UTC 2006

Barry Finkel wrote:
> 4) ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
>    earthlink.net.          1800    IN      NS      itchy.earthlink.net.
>    earthlink.net.          1800    IN      NS      scratchy.earthlink.net.
>
>    This authority section gives you the names of the authoritative
>    name servers.  I believe that this authority section is not
>    required to be present.

I hope no-one reads this as a blanket statement that Authority Sections
are optional in DNS responses. In _this_ case it was optional, but in
others -- negative responses, referrals -- they are most definitely
mandatory, either to contain an SOA RR (in the case of a negative
response) or NS RRs (in the case of a referral).

                           - Kevin