MX pointing to CNAME

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed May 31 00:50:35 UTC 2006

> Pete Ehlke wrote:
> > On Tue May 30, 2006 at 18:46:37 +0200, Peter Dambier wrote:
> >
> >>If you ask the inventors of CNAME they will tell you CNAME was not a good
> >>idea after all. If you can, avoid them. They will at best cost time to look
> >>up.
> >>

> > Oh, really? References for this claim are where, exactly? DJB has ranted
> > about this at some length in the past, and his acolytes tend to parrot
> > the words, but please, show me where "the inventors of CNAME" have said
> > such a thing.
> >

> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

> Don't go overboard with CNAMEs.  Use them when renaming hosts, but
> plan to get rid of them (and inform your users).
> Also, having chained records such as CNAMEs pointing to CNAMEs may
> make administration issues easier, but is known to tickle bugs in
> some resolvers that fail to check loops correctly.  As a result some
> hosts may not be able to resolve such names.
> Having NS records pointing to a CNAME is bad and may conflict badly
> with current BIND servers.  In fact, current BIND implementations
> will ignore such records, possibly leading to a lame delegation.

	BIND ignores them because they cannot work in all cases.

	Take this simple example

		@ SOA ....
		@ NS foo
		foo CNAME bar
		bar A 1.2.3.4

	The parent would have to hold glue CNAME and A records and
	the referral would have to include them in the additional
	section.

	e.g.
		child NS foo.child
		foo.child CNAME bar.child
		bar.child A 1.2.3.4

	To make them work you would need to change the additional
	data processing rules to look for and chase CNAME records
	for NS records.  You would need to accept CNAMEs as glue
	in addition to A and AAAA records.  Resolvers would need
	to be changed to accept CNAME records in the additonal
	section.

	As a simple delegation won't work with a CNAME record, BIND
	does not attempt to make the few case where it could succeed
	work.

	BIND 9.4.0 should reject the above child zone at load time.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org