Bind 9.3.2 can't resolve one domain

Jarek Poplawski jarkap at poczta.onet.pl
Thu May 25 13:33:53 UTC 2006

Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>>> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 10:31:08PM +0200,
>>>  Jarek <jarek at fake.address.from.pl> wrote

> 	Named will fall back to plain DNS if it gets no response
> 	to the EDNS query.
>
> 	In reality the remote nameserver is broken as it is not
> 	always returning a error code when it recieves a request.
> 	FORMERR is part of the base DNS specification and
> 	nameservers should be able to count on it being returned.
>
> 	EDNS has also been on standards track for ~7 years now.
>
> 	Mark

Hi!

If I understand correctly you think bind 9.3 is behaving as it
should but I'm not convinced. I tested it today with
MAX_EDNS0_TIMEOUTS 0 (also 1) in resolver.c, what I think should
effectively eliminate or decrease timeouts and there was no
improvement. After no-edns0 queries there were mainly
noanswer_responses in debug logs.

It is hard to comprehend, why these wrong DNS servers are
understand correctly in individual queries, but wrongly when
recursive lookup is done.

I think that lack of information in README or CHANGES of 9.3
version isn't helping, and some admins will blame bind 9.3 and
stay with 9.2 for that reason. What's more: forwarders from some
big providers don't see any problems with such domains also.

Jarek P.