Primary DNS Query Response is very slow

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu May 25 13:16:29 UTC 2006

> Dear All,
>      I have Primary DNS which has BIND 9 gives speed issue with resolving
> domains -  Total query time > 4000 ms where as my Sec DNS is cool-Total
> query time < 200 ms with same BIND 9.

	The primary is IPv6 capable and the secondary isn't or
	the secondary has IPv6 connectivity to the rest of the world
	and the primary doesn't or the primary has a OS which does not
	report network unreachable when there is no route and the
	secondaries OS does.

	You can run with "named -4" (requires 9.3.x) or get IPv6
	connectivity.  The later is a better long term plan.

	Mark

	P.S.  There have been 16 BIND 9 releases (if I have counted them
	correctly).  Please specify which release in future.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org