having problems with the reverse zone for a domain

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 9 04:36:33 UTC 2006

In article <e3ouj4$15b4$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "enediel gonzalez" <enediel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
> Note
>   For privacy I changed the real domain to domain.com and the real public ip
> to 1.2.3.4

Without knowing the real domain, it's really hard for us to tell what's
wrong.  Which is more important, solving the problem or hiding your
identity (and you posted your name in the header -- isn't that even more
of a privacy issue?).

> I have a domain name server associated to an static ip, at the same time is
> the mail server of this domain, but checking the domain configuration with
> the page www.dns.report I got everything fine except:
>
> **********************************
> ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS
> (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers
> did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS
> for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many
> mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry.
>   You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff
> site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the
> DNS report use our local caching DNS server). The problem MX records are:
> 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)
> Something is wrong on the reverse declaration, but I can not figure out what
> it is.
>
> When I restart the bind9 service, it doesn't report me any error.

Have you checked with www.dnsstuff.com like the message recommends?

My guess is that your ISP isn't delegating the reverse block to you.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA