intranet hostname lookup only

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri May 5 21:57:12 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <e3dvi9$2iri$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>Um, OK, and neither of those constitute "setup [of] bind9" as the
>>original poster requested.
>>

>So?  We're not allowed to infer the higher-level goal, and must answer
>based on his misunderstanding of client-side and server-side behavior?

Infer whatever you want. But, once inferred, unless one believes that
fostering shortname resolution is a good idea, one might nevertheless
prefer to hold back and answer the question exactly as asked. After all,
it's an even "higher-level goal" to nudge novice administrators towards
practices that will serve their infrastructure and their user community
well in the long term, isn't it?

Maybe you've never actually had to deal with a user community that is
addicted to shortnames and refuses to change their ways, demanding
instead that you tie your DNS infrastructure into pretzels to
accommodate their practices. So maybe you don't see the "higher-level
goal" here. But, for those of us who have to deal with these
consequences almost daily, telling someone how to facilitate shortname
resolution, where they've never had it before, is like giving a drink to
an alcoholic, giving a loaded shotgun to a suicide risk, or whatever
your favorite metaphor happens to be. As patronizing as it sounds,
sometimes one has to be cruel to be kind. Sometimes a useless answer is
the *best* answer, in the long run.

                  - Kevin