How do I get named to not log events from certain IPs.

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jul 31 23:23:22 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <ealn4m$1s5l$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
>
>> aarontheyoung at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been successful running named on debian for quite some time and
>>> have recently adjusted my config to only respond for the domains we are
>>> authoritative for.  Now, I am
>>> getting TONS of hits to our name servers EVEN THOUGH they continue to
>>> be denied the same dumb boneheads keep trying to update and query our
>>> name server for hosts that we don't manage.
>> Welcome to the wonderful world of DNS administration. :)
>>
>>> My hourly log reports are now pretty tough to go through with this
>>> extra "denied" entries all over the place.  Is there a way to configure
>>> named to NOT log activity from certain IP addresses?
>> You are better off blocking this sort of stuff with a firewall.
>
> What firewalls allow you to block DNS packets specifically by request
> type?  They all use the same port numbers.

Well, perhaps I read that through the filter of my own experience, but I was
under the impression that all of the traffic was unwanted, and that there
was no reason for those remote servers to query the OP's servers at all. If
I'm wrong about that, you're right, it's a much harder problem.

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough