Host = domain

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Jul 20 19:23:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:42:22AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 06:56:36PM +0200, Okka Dns wrote:
> > >
> > > Works for me.
> > > Using bind 9.2.3
> >

> > I was going to cite where in the ARM this wasn't possible, but ... I
> > just grepped through the ARM and "@" is a completely undocumented
> > feature.  ;-)  Which nevertheless everyone knows and uses.
>
> 	That's because it is documented in RFC 1034 / RFC 1035.
>
> 	The ARM documents the *extensions* to the master file format.

I didn't realize that, Mark.  Thank you.  [Some redundant information
would be good, though.  IMHO.]

RFC 1035 tells us that an "@" may be used anywhere that a
<character-string> might be used.  [All the copies I find on the 'net
are also missing part of the previous sentence!]

Nevertheless, this still tells us that it is an invalid right-hand
argument to ANY "A" record, as it does not represent an IP address, but
a domain name.

--
Joe Yao