Cache poisoning

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jul 14 12:12:54 UTC 2006

The BIND servers I'm talking about are a master and slave we use only
for external queries to our internet facing systems and for forwards to
the root servers from the inside (internally we have Windows DNS
servers).

The question came up because our security admin ran a Nessus scan and it
indicated we're running a version of BIND susceptible to cache
poisoning.  I'm going to upgrade the OS and the BIND on the servers in
question. I had asked to do this some months ago and the Nessus scan
helped me get the point across.   However I was of the impression that
cache poisoning was only an issue on a caching name server and we aren't
running one.  The responses you and Barry sent seem to confirm that.  I
just wanted to know the urgency of doing the upgrade as approvals flow
like molasses around here.