problem with zone transfer

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 26 21:49:31 UTC 2006

Chris Boyd wrote:

>Every few days we are having problems with local address not resolving. It seems to coincide with a zone transfer in the logs.
>Also how do you stop it from doing a zone transfer anyway...as we don't really need to as the file rarely changes?
>
>named[1341]: transfer of 'usit.ie/IN' from 82.195.14
>6.192#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED
>Jan 24 06:30:14 usit-hq-s02 named[1341]: transfer of 'usit.ie/IN' from 82.195.14
>6.192#53: end of transfer
>
>It attempts this every 6 hours but only stops resolving every few days so I'm not sure what's going on there.
>Anyway to get it to start resolving again you have to incriment the serial # in the respective zone file.
>
>$TTL 3D
>@                       IN      SOA     usit-hq-s02.usit.ie. admin.usit.ie. (
>                                28              ; Serial
>                                10800           ; Refresh
>                                3600            ; Retry
>                                604800          ; Expire
>                                86400 )         ; Minimum TTL
>;
>
>named.conf:
>
>zone "usit.ie" in {
>        type slave;
>        file "usit.zone";
>        allow-query {any;};
>        masters { 82.195.146.192;};
>        also-notify { 10.133.1.230; };
>        notify no;
>};

Seems like you've defined the zone as slave, but are incapable of
actually slaving it.

If you want to be the *master* for the zone, define it as "type master".
If you just want to resolve names in the zone the same way everyone else
resolves those names, delete the zone definition from your config.

- Kevin