DNS Redundancy After a Disaster

Tim Wilde twilde at dyndns.com
Tue Jan 24 03:13:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	One of the beautiful things about the DNS protocol is that one
> should have one or more slaves listed along with the master.  Other
> than not being able to dynamically update one's zones, how bad does
> service get if the master is dead and the only working DNS is an
> off-site slave?

Most DNS resolvers (particularly BIND) have algorithms designed to
determine the closest servers, network-wise, and also ignore dead servers
for some time period.  There would be some initial latency the first
time(s) a given resolver is trying to resolve something in your domain,
but it shouldn't be a huge impact.  You can lessen the impact by having
multiple off-site slaves; many companies (including my own) offer
secondary DNS services that will provide you with multiple off-site
servers for low (and in some cases, no) cost.

Google for [secondary dns] or [secondary dns service], you'll find lots of
different options out there.

> 	Do large companies do anything special to insure that if a
> master DNS fails, there will always be something at the IP address of
> the master?

Many people will use anycast or other technological solutions to ensure
that their master is always available.  This only really impacts the
slaves, though, as any random resolver out on the Internet has no way of
knowing your master from your slaves when they're just doing a normal
query.  They just see a list of nameservers, and pick one using their
internal selection algorithms.

An outside secondary DNS service is a great way to ensure your domain
remains up and running if your primary network connection is down, or your
primary DNS server(s) fail.

Regards,
Tim Wilde

--