Mapping MX servers of one domain onto another domain.

Chris mandrake440 at isc.org
Mon Jan 23 22:58:22 UTC 2006

"Manjunath H N" <Manjunath.hn at mphasis.com> wrote in message
news:dr3lcr$200p$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Hi,
>
> I have registered a domain example.com, now I have a client requirement,
> the requirement is as follows.
>
> The client has a registered domain client.com, they have a MX record
> pointing to 3 servers, now they want a requirement, to map their MX
> records in client.com domain to our domain example.com.
>
> How can this be achieved ???? As example.com is not a authorized server
> to host MX records for client.com.
>
> This is the requirement
>
> Existing:-
>
> client.com (MX records)
> client3.com     internet address = a.b.c.d
> client2.com     internet address = e.f.g.h
> client1.com     internet address = i.j.k.l
>
> Requirement:-
>
> To map the MX of example.com to client.com
>
> TIA
> Manjunath H N

You mean have MX records in one domain map to hosts in another?

client.com  IN  MX 10  mail1.client.com.
client.com  IN  MX 20  mail2.client.com.
client.com  IN  MX 30  mail3.client.com.
mail1         IN A 1.2.3.4
mail2         IN A etc ......

otherdomain.com  IN  MX  10 mail1.client.com.
otherdomain.com  IN  MX  20 mail2.client.com.
otherdomain.com  IN  MX  30 mail.client.com.

MX records don't have to be hosts defined in that zone.

Chris.