BIND config

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 21 02:45:28 UTC 2006

paulroskilly at hotmail.com wrote:

>Is there any logging functionality in BIND to see if it is getting
>requests that dont get serviced for some reason (errors).
>
>I have BIND set up with this config file :
>
>options {
>	directory "/var/named";
>	dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
>        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
>};
>
>controls {
>	inet 127.0.0.1 allow { any; } keys { rndckey; };
>};
>
>zone "." IN {
>	type hint;
>	file "named.ca";
>};
>
>zone "localdomain" IN {
>	type master;
>	file "localdomain.zone";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>
>zone "localhost" IN {
>	type master;
>	file "localhost.zone";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>
>zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>	type master;
>	file "named.local";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>
>zone
>"0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa"
>IN {
>        type master;
>	file "named.ip6.local";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>
>zone "255.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>	type master;
>	file "named.broadcast";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>
>zone "0.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>	type master;
>	file "named.zero";
>	allow-update { none; };
>};
>

>zone "pbs-hosting.net" {
>    type master;
>    notify no;
>
>    allow-query { any; };
>    file "pbs-hosting_net.zone";
>};
>include "/etc/rndc.key";

>and here is the zone file for the domain pbs-hosting.net :
>

>$TTL 60
>
>@       IN SOA	localhost   root.localhost (
>                        2006012001      ; serial#
>                        3600            ; refresh, seconds
>                        3600            ; retry, seconds
>                        3600            ; expire, seconds
>                        3600 )          ; minimum, seconds
>;
>                NS      127.0.0.1             ; Inet Address of
>nameserver
>
>;my-site.com.    MX      10 mail         ; Primary Mail Exchanger
>;
>localhost       A       127.0.0.1
>;bigboy          A       97.158.253.26
>;mail            CNAME   bigboy
>ns1             CNAME   127.0.0.1
>ns2             CNAME   127.0.0.1
>www             CNAME   localhost

> [...]
"Page not found" usually isn't a DNS problem. As for pinging, "it won't
work" isn't very descriptive. Try using a DNS-specific lookup tool like
"dig" to see exactly what response you're getting for these queries from
your nameserver(s). Is it an NXDOMAIN response? A timeout? A SERVFAIL? What?

                                             - Kevin