BIND Maintenance

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 17 23:23:02 UTC 2006

Carl Hilton wrote:

>I have my system configured so that workstations automatically update
>my database, as they aquire new DHCP addresses. However, it looks like
>old names are not getting purged from my REV files. Is this
>configurable?
>
>Running Bind 9.2.1 on LINUX.

With respect to Dynamic Update, BIND just does what it is told. It won't
houseclean "stale" PTR records, since it doesn't know what is "stale"
and what isn't. If this behavior is configurable, it would be on the
Dynamic Update client side, i.e. the clients or (preferably) the DHCP
server(s) they use.

                                                            - Kevin