How to update QUICKLY for clients on subdomains.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 12 06:07:40 UTC 2006

In article <dq49al$2hmo$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Truong Tan Son" <sontt at fcv.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> > Your diagram is confusing.  Are those zones or are they nameservers?
> > Are the servers slaves for each other?
>
> All they are masters of type zone,  3 zones are placed on 3 machines.
>                  ^^^^^^^
> [zone]
> (nameserver)
>                                        [domain.com]
>                                       (root.domain.com)
>                                     /                             \
>                                   /                                 \
>     [sub1.domain.com]                                    [sub2.domain.com]
>   (root1.sub1.domain.com)                            (root2.sub2.domain.com)
>

> I change some records on [sub1.domain.com] zone, and "rndc reload" "rndc
> flush", but Clients of [sub2.domain.com] can not see new
> records.
>
> Is it wrong something ?

So root2.sub2.domain.com is authoritative for sub2.domain.com, but not
for domain.com or sub1.domain.com, right?  It just caches the records
from those other zones, correct?

Where did you run the "rndc flush"?  You need to run it on the other
servers, not root1.sub1.domain.com, to make them clear their caches.

Also, some client systems have local caches.  For instance, Windows has
a cache that can be cleared with "ipconfig/flushdns".

The right thing for you to do is lower the TTLs in advance of making a
change, so that the old records won't be cached for very long.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA