classless dns issue

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 5 22:50:07 UTC 2006

Bryan Irvine wrote:

>I'm having problems with my first foray into classless dns.
>
>I'm getting this error "SOA record not at top of zone
>(128/27.201.1.64.in-addr.arpa)"
>
>here's the top part of my 64.1.201.rev file.
>
>128/27.201.1.64.in-addr.arpa.     IN  SOA  itchy.kcjn.com
>dns.horvitznewspapers.net. (
>          2006010607	; Serial Number
>          86400		; Refresh (1 day)
>          600		        ; Retry (10 minutes)
>          2592000   	; Expire (30 days)
>          259200          ; Default TTL (3 days)
>     )
>          IN     NS     itchy.kcjn.com.
>          IN     NS     scratchy.kcjn.com.
>          IN     NS     poochie.kcjn.com.
>
>Ideas?  It looks like it's at the top to me.

What does the zone definition in named.conf look like? The parser is
expecting an SOA RR _with_the_name_of_the_zone_ at the top of the
zonefile. You'll get this error if there's a mismatch between the name
of the zone, as used in the zone definition, and the name of the first
SOA RR in the zonefile.

                                          - Kevin