rcode servfail/adns

flatline flatline at greyhat.nl
Thu Feb 16 21:38:52 UTC 2006

At 21:53 16-2-2006, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using adns and BIND to do mass reverse lookups for me, but I seem
> > to have run into a problem which I couldn't fix for the past few
> > days. For some reason, my PTR lookups (adns type adns_r_ptr_raw) are
> > getting nothing but "unexpected RCODE (SERVFAIL) resolving
> > 'x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 193.0.0.193#53" results. AFAIK my BIND
> > configuration ( http://greyhat.nl/named.conf ) is fine, but seeing
> > all these remote errors coming from ns.ripe.net make me wonder about
> > the sanity of my setup. I realise that this is a rather vague problem
> > description, but I haven't come across any obvious hints yet. If you
> > need more information, I'll be more than happy to provide that. Right
> > now I'm just looking for any insights at all, since I'm completely stuck!
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Ro
>
>         The only hard piece of evidence and you go and obscure the
>         details.
>
>         Mark
>--
>Mark Andrews, ISC
>1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
>PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org

Oh, you wanted me to say that 90% of the IPs I'm
trying to resolve actually are resolvable on
other hosts, but I get this error on my box? I
"obscured" that IP (I didn't obscure anything, I
just used x.x.x.x as a "wildcard" for all the
queries that are failing), because I fail to see
the relevance of quoting a single IP out of
thousands that is resolvable on your host, but
fails to resolve on mine. These IPs are from all
over the world, on practically every ISP
imaginable. Now for all of you who think I'm
wrong in assuming this, here is one of the IPs in
question: 84.28.47.253. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roël