Two More Questions on Hosting Three Domains on One Name Server

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Thu Feb 2 22:37:47 UTC 2006

Answering the reverse dns question, most mail servers look
at the following..

1.  Does reverse dns exist.  (75% of mail servers)
2.  ... If I query the A record of what's returned, does the
ip match. (50% of mail servers)
3.  ... Does the MX of the domain in the from address match
the ip?  (.1% of mail servers, usually as part of a spam
scoring solution)

So you should be fine with this reverse DNS configuration.

-ejay

One
> Name Server
>
> I am going to host three domains on my dns servers:
>
> mydomain.com
> mydomain.net
> mydomain.de
>
> The NS Record for each domain is:
>
>         IN        NS        nameserver1.mydomain.com.
>         IN        NS        nameserver2.mydomain.com.
>
> Here are the SOAs for each domain:
>
> mydomain.com.        IN        SOA
nameserver1.mydomain.com.
> dns.mydomain.com.   (
>
> mydomain.com.        IN        SOA
nameserver1.mydomain.com.
> dns.mydomain.com.   (
>
> mydomain.com.        IN        SOA
nameserver1.mydomain.com.
> dns.mydomain.com.   (
>
> In summary, I am using the same master and slave
nameservers
> to host the
> three domains.  I am using the same SOA and NS records for

> each of the three
> domains.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> I have another problem with the reverse lookup zones.  All

> three domains are
> on the same subnet and all three of the mail exchangers
are
> on  two hosts:
>
> mail.mydomain.com is on          192.168.40.20
> mail2.mydomain.com is on        192.168.40.21
> mail.mydomain.net is on            192.168.40.21
> mail2.mydomain.net is on          192.168.40.20
> mail.mydomain.de is on             192.168.40.20
> mail2.mydomain.de is on           192.168.40.21
>
> It looks to me that I cannot have a reverse lookup for all

> mail exchangers.
> So I will have reverse lookups for:
>
> 20        IN        PTR        mail.mydomain.com
> 21        IN        PTR        mail.mydomain.net
>
> and none for the other four mail exchangers.
>
> Should this be o.k.?
>
> Sorry for belaboring this, but I cannot find the
information