rndc: create task manager. no available threads

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 18:19:46 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Marc Haber <mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 12:07:14PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > > when I do "ssh remotehost rndc reload", I get the error message "rndc:
> > > create task manager. no available threads". When I ssh interactively
> > > to remotehost and issue rndc reload on the shell command line,
> > > everything is fine.
> > >
> > > This only happens on one host (running Debian stable as the others
> > > do), which is quite low on memory.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to get rid of this error message and to make things
> > > work instead? What does this error message mean in the first place?
> >
> >       It means that rndc was unable to create a thread. rndc only
> >       attempts to create one worker thread. isc_thread_create() is
> >       just a wrapper around pthread_create() which has these two
> >       failure modes.
>
> And why is this only happening when invoking rndc over a
> non-interactive ssh session?

"This only happens on one host (running Debian stable as the others
do), which is quite low on memory".

How low on memory? [Everything is in swap? etc]
What kind of shell do you use?
Are the environment variables identical between systems that work
non-interactively and the one that doesnt?
What is the stable kernel you are running? And stable glibc?
Does the kernel report anything when this occurs.

I don't have any Debian stable systems to compare with.