rndc: create task manager. no available threads

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Dec 22 01:07:14 UTC 2006

> [This is a repost of an article posted to comp.protocols.dns.bind two
> days ago that has not yet appeared on the newsgroup or on the list
> which I have subscribed in the mean time.]
>
> Hi,
>
> when I do "ssh remotehost rndc reload", I get the error message "rndc:
> create task manager. no available threads". When I ssh interactively
> to remotehost and issue rndc reload on the shell command line,
> everything is fine.
>
> This only happens on one host (running Debian stable as the others
> do), which is quite low on memory.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of this error message and to make things
> work instead? What does this error message mean in the first place?

	It means that rndc was unable to create a thread. rndc only
	attempts to create one worker thread. isc_thread_create() is
	just a wrapper around pthread_create() which has these two
	failure modes.

ERRORS
       !EAGAIN!
              not enough system resources to create a process for
              the new thread.

       !EAGAIN!
              more than !PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX! threads are already
              active.

	Mark

        LOCK(&manager->lock);
        /*