Why does host Command in bind9.3.2 Repeat Itself?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Dec 20 14:56:05 UTC 2006

	If I look up an alias, the output of the host command is
accurate, but it repeats itself.  Earlier versions of host didn't
do this so I now have to manually chop off the redundancy when
including the output to clients who ask why if you don't edit it.
Example:

$ host quicksand.okstate.edu

quicksand.okstate.edu is an alias for columbus.okstate.edu.
columbus.okstate.edu has address 10.1.2.3
quicksand.okstate.edu is an alias for columbus.okstate.edu.
quicksand.okstate.edu is an alias for columbus.okstate.edu.

	If I  force host to just look for the CNAME record, it
gives a non-repetitive output but you don't see the A lookup
then.
$ host -tCNAME quicksand.okstate.edu

quicksand.okstate.edu is an alias for columbus.okstate.edu.

	You could get the older behavior with a script that first
looks up the CNAME and, if successful with that, does an A
lookup, but I am checking first to see if there is a different
way to get the old behavior back.  If it is going through the
master and then the slave, that makes sense, but one would expect
it to do both the alias and the A lookup on both to make sure
they were equal as they should be.

	Thanks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer