Disabling queries over IPv6

Steve Macari smacari at magpi.net
Wed Dec 20 03:13:55 UTC 2006

I'm running BIND 9.2.3 and I'm looking for a way to turn off sourcing
queries with IPv6. The system on which it is running (Sun, Solaris 9)
was recently configured with IPv6. And as soon as the system got a
routable IPv6 address, BIND began to source queries to other nameservers
using IPv6 (ie. to those nameservers with an IPv6 address).

Is there a way to turn this off? While I eventually want this feature,
I don't want to use it right now while we are still experimenting with
the IPv6 infrastructure. I notice there is a 'query-source-v6' option.
But that seems to only allow you to say which v6 address/port to use.
And not to tell the nameserver not to source queries with IPv6 at all.

There are no other IPv6 related statements configured. In particular the
server isn't listening on an IPv6 address (there is no "listen-on-v6"
statement).

I suppose one option would be to recompile without IPv6 support. But
I'm hoping there's a quick config option, that I can turn back on when
I'm ready ..

Thanks for any assistance,
-S.M.