How to reduce the number of IP address returned when resolving a big round robin DNS entry

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Dec 1 18:15:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:21:44PM +0100, besnard michel wrote:
> hi,
> in fact i have to reduce it to 26 responses to have no truncated message
>
> i've got strange behaviour of a particuliar DNS resolver on wifi mobile
> the resolver wait for the other reponses (when message truncated)
> and do nothing until it receives another packet containing the rest of the
> other responses...!
> it doesn't swith over to TCP ... !

Bad resolver.  (non-RFC compliant.)  Knowing that, unfortunately,
doesn't help the user except when coimplaining to the manufacturer.  Has
anyone done so?

> i saw that DJBDNS send 8 reponses from a random sets of hosts... a small and
> good LB  function like i want

In other words, it lied.  I do not want that!  An authoritative name
server is supposed to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but
the truth [well, maybe some additional information ;-)].

> i've to upgrade to BIND 9.3
> my bind version is 9.2 and BIND 9.2 do not not supporting EDNS

???

> i'll have to modify the inspection engine on Cisco FWSM card to allow paquet
> up to 1500 byte
> i'll try to make a VIP and make IOS SLB (NAT destination) to solve my
> problem
> and have only one IP to return ... but no one never NAT that kind of
> protocol

???

--
Joe Yao