Wildcard hosts

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 26 01:48:32 UTC 2006

In article <ecnvbu$c4c$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "AF" <af.at.work at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I was wondering if someone would mind highlighting any 'issues' with
> using wildcard hosts.
>
> ie: *.mydomain.com

The most common problem is that it prevents getting proper name lookup
errors from applications that automatically append the local domain
name.  E.g. if you try to look up gooogle.com (let's pretend this
doesn't exist), and when the application gets an error from DNS it
retries this as gooogle.com.mydomain.com, this will return a result
because of the wildcard.  So the user never gets told that he misspelled
google.com.

Things are even worse for applications and libraries that append the
default domain BEFORE trying the name as given.  Then even if you type
google.com correctly, it will look up google.com.mydomain.com, and
return the address from the wildcard rather than the correct address of
google.com.  And unfortunately, there are still quite a few applications
that work like this (Windows NSLOOKUP seems to be one of them).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA