Hosting own domain - newb questions.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 24 21:38:37 UTC 2006

In article <ecj29b$6br$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Frank Hamersley" <terabite at bigpond.com> wrote:

> > and that the only other delegated nameserver for
> > the domain (ns1.westnet.com.au) is lame for it, means that there is
> > going to be a lot of glue-fetching, retries, etc.
>
> Zone tfr not happening.  What stimulates that? Is it a push from my NS or a
> pull from the secondary?  What should I see in the logs and does it use the
> regulation tcp/udp ports?

It's a pull from the slave.  It uses the standard DNS port 53.  It first
queries the SOA record using UDP, then if the slave is not up to date it
uses TCP to transfer the zone.

I don't recall the specific log messages you should see when the slave
tries to pull a zone transfer.

> That is the next work ticket.  Have some reading to do first on how to cure.
> Startup log follows...
>
> Aug 24 00:53:36 gvmp named[9071]: /etc/bind/db.gvmp.com.au:39: ignoring
> out-of-zone data (5.129.173.202.in-addr.arpa)
> Aug 24 00:53:36 gvmp named[9071]: /etc/bind/db.gvmp.com.au:43: ignoring
> out-of-zone data (1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa)

You have reverse DNS entries in your forward zone.  Those should each be
in separate zones, and the 5.129.173.202.in-addr.arpa record should only
be on your server if your ISP has actually delegated authority for the
reverse domain to your server.

> Aug 24 00:53:36 gvmp named[9071]: zone gvmp.com.au/IN: loaded serial
> 2006082405
> Aug 24 00:53:36 gvmp named[9071]: zone gvmp.com.au/IN: sending notifies
> (serial 2006082405)
>
> How do I get more info on the send?

It sends notifies to all the servers listed in the zone's NS records, as
well as any addresses in the "also-notify" list in named.conf.

> > Then see if your resolution
> > problems still persist even after you have 2 authoritative nameservers
> > fully functional for the zone.
>
> The other question is the PTR record.  The ISP insists of maintaining it as
> we are only a small customer.  I presume they have got it right (not sure
> where to check) but wanted to know if I also have to re-express it in the
> authorative zone.  As logged above named is arcing up about these at the
> moment!
>
> ; Reverse lookups
> $ORIGIN 129.173.202.in-addr.arpa.
> 5               IN      PTR     gvmp.com.au.
>                         ; pointer record for internet requests
> ;
> $ORIGIN 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
> 1               IN      PTR     gvmp.com.au.
> ;                       ; pointer record to the localhost
>
> For the last one I wasn't sure if it should be the zone or localhost!?!

As I said above, they should be in their own zones:

zone "129.173.202.in-addr.arpa" {
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
};