Use of "notify" and "also-notify"

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 22 20:25:36 UTC 2006

In article <ecffre$12un$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Forrest Aldrich <forrie at forrie.com> wrote:

> We are in the process of transitioning our master DNS servers to another
> hosting provider.
>
> In preparation for that, I'm having them begin secondary transfers from
> our internal master server.
>
> It  occurred to me that during this time, I do NOT want the server to
> send notifies to our current (soon to be old) DNS servers (at the other
> provider), but we DO want updates to go to the new array.

Why don't you want notifies going to the current servers?  You say
you're still in the preparation stage, so the current servers are still
the ones that your domain is delegated to.  So shouldn't they continue
to stay up to date?  Even if you turn off notifies, they'll still poll
for zone transfers based on the refresh interval.  So unless you also
remove the old servers from the allow-transfer list, they'll pick up
your changes eventually; you might as well continue to notify them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA