Chaining CNAMEs?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 22 01:30:42 UTC 2006

In article <ecdm8l$274b$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Chris De Young <chd at arizona.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was just browsing through the latest edition of the O'Reilly
> DNS/BIND book, and ran across a bit on pointing a CNAME record at
> another alias:
>
> "The answer is yes: you can chain together CNAME records. The BIND
> implementation supports it, and the RFCs don't expressly forbid it."
>
> The authors go on to recommend against it anyway, but I had always
> thought that this was actually illegal.  I don't remember now where I
> had gotten that idea... I think the issue had to do with not being
> guaranteed that the server would always do the additional processing
> to ensure that you got to the canonical name at the end of the chain.
>
> I guess I've been mistaken?  :-)

Yes, you have been.  Note, however, that you can't take it too far.  To
prevent loops, servers usually have a limit on the number of times
they'll restart a query.  And since it's not common to have long chains
of CNAMEs, the limit is typically pretty low, like 5-10, and most of
this can be taken up by having to resolve NS records in delegations.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA