Cannot get ip address of mx record kienhwa.hk

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Aug 8 23:44:14 UTC 2006

First, if you can avoid it, don't use nslookup. It's misleading and
silly. Use dig instead - if you want dig for windows, download the
BIND for Windows binary package. (If you don't want to use the
installer, just drag the executable to a handy location. You'll also
need a library; when you try to run it, it will tell you which
library is missing.)

In this case, the two name servers for kienhwa.hk have different
copies of the zone. The name servers appear to be load balancers,
rather than something full-featured like BIND. fpdns.pl can't
identify them, at least not from my location.

The relevant records are as follows:

kienhwa.hk.             0       IN      MX      10 kienhwa.hk.
kienhwa.hk.             0       IN      A       202.134.124.67
kienhwa.hk.             0       IN      A       202.134.124.67

Each name server reports a different A record, and neither puts the A
record in the Additional section of the response. This, along with
the 0 TTL's, may be what's tripping up your BIND server - it gets the
MX record, looks up the A record, and then no longer has the MX
record. Or something like that. I know very old versions of BIND had
trouble with 0 TTL's, but I know that was at least largely fixed a
long time ago.

BIND 9 should have no trouble with this, though. So the solution is
probably going to be to upgrade BIND. This may not be a trivial
undertaking, depending on your situation, but it's pretty important
for a variety of reasons. BIND 8 should no longer be used for most
purposes.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice