Link Local Multicast Name Resolution

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Apr 26 11:09:40 UTC 2006

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:47:43PM +0200,
>  Peter Dambier <peter at peter-dambier.de> wrote
>  a message of 40 lines which said:
>

>>LLMNR lives in a world of self assigned random addresses.
>

> No, nothing in LLMNR implies "self assigned" or "random"
> addresses. You do not know LLMNR better than the DNS, I see...

         Title           : Linklocal Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR)
         Author(s)       : B. Aboba, et al.
         Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-46.txt
         Pages           : 30
         Date            : 2006-4-17

The goal of Link-Local Multicast Name Resolution (LLMNR) is to enable
name resolution in scenarios in which conventional DNS name
resolution is not possible.  LLMNR supports all current and future
DNS formats, types and classes, while operating on a separate port
from DNS, and with a distinct resolver cache.  Since LLMNR only
operates on the local link, it cannot be considered a substitute for
DNS.

You are right they are not selfassigned but experimented by tossing a coin
and tried for collission or not.

Oh yes, I know draft-ietf-dnsext-mdns-46.txt is not final.
The real LLMNR is still a secret not even known by its inventor.

And yes, your LLMNR (DNS)-server can use a routable address and still
communicate with clients using (L)ocal (L)ink addresses but your
server will send queries into the internet asking for domains like

.local

I have seen those queries on root-servers and I am told I am not
the only one who complains.

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
The Public-Root Consortium