Very Strange Reverse DNS problems

Gary Galloway garyg at budgetphone.com
Wed Apr 19 22:09:39 UTC 2006

I need some help resolving some very strange problems with Bind 9.3.1 running on FreeBSD 6.0
I have a reverse zone that will answer as authoritative with some address in the zone but will answer non-authoritative with other addresses in the same zone file and then refer the query to the root servers.  The zone is setup as a master and is properly deligated to my server.  I am trying to migrate my DNS off of a couple of a windows server but have been unable to do so as Bind will not resolve the reverse addresses for my mail servers correctly.  Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause this server to think it is not authoritative on some IP address while still being authoritative on others in the same zone ????

Thanks
Gary Galloway