Question on TLDs

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Apr 10 06:32:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 03:29:14PM +0530,
 Rao, Nandini S (STSD) <nandini-s.rao at hp.com> wrote
 a message of 10 lines which said:

> Also is it possible to get some information on the % break up of the
> different types of queries on the internet?

Define "on the Internet". You can measure DNS traffic only at a given
point and the result can be different from what you see at another
point.

> For instance what % of the queries are for A type of records and
> what % for PTR, MX etc.

On our b.nic.fr (which hosts several ccTLD as well as many
in-addr.arpa domains - which means it sees also PTR requests), we
typically see:

1 new queries, 100797 total queries               Mon Apr 10 08:30:47 2006

Query Type     count      %
---------- --------- ------
#0?               10    0.0
A?             70683   70.1